Monday, March 9, 2009

in memory of Katie

When I've heard of someone famous taking on important work in memory of his or her child, such as John Edwards running for office in memory of his son, I used to get so frustrated. I don't have Katie's talents and training, I could never study math and work in a physics lab or play a concerto with an orchestra in honor of her memory. Finally I settled on just being the best teacher I could be, something that Katie had fully supported me in. She had volunteered with my kindergartners and my struggling first and second grade readers, so I would strive to be the best teacher I could be for each of my students, for my class as a whole, and my school as a community.

Now I'm losing my teaching position, and it hurts. Teaching is meaningful work for me on a daily basis. But it's also about carefully choosing and buying books for each student in Katie's memory, then watching my students read and smile and share about those books, gaining fluency and a love of reading that will serve them the rest of their lives. So I'm not only losing my job, the work that I love, but I'm also losing the way I keep Katie's memory alive in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I hear what you are saying, but know that you will not lose Katie's memory. You just won't. I do hope that you are able to find meaningful work -- hopefully teaching, since that is what you seem led to do -- but know also that the special person that you are, just by being, shines through in your writing, your photographs, your caring for the goldfinches, your love for your sons ... that also honors Katie. You are clearly a very light-filled, wonderful person. <3

    ReplyDelete