Monday, March 23, 2009

more miracles


By Friday morning the kids were thrilled that there were four eggs in the nest, and the students at our 'bird viewing platform' would squeal with delight when the male goldfinch would swoop down to the nest and gently feed thistle seeds to the female. Of course, in our classroom the kids keep calling them the mama bird and the daddy bird, it's hard not to! Any parent or teacher that comes in the classroom is treated to a tour of our 'bird viewing platform' and a detailed explanation of all of the bird behavior we've observed so far! The kids love it, and they recruit students at recess to come in for tours too!

Over the weekend it was very windy with a bit of rain, and several staff members worried over the little birds and their nest. One said she was thinking of trying to go hang something to protect it. I was worried about the wild cats that have litters under portables every spring, as the nest is very close to the ground...okay, I'm still worried about that. Several people have said I should put wire around the base of the tree to keep cats out, but it's a delicate balance trying to figure out how not to disturb the nesting birds.

Our Principal put locks on the gates on either end to try to protect the nest, but everyone has a key, and this morning one of the district maintenance guys went back there with a weed whacker and took down all the food source for the birds. I ran out to talk with him, asking him if we could skip the mowing for a month or so, and he said, don't worry, we only do it once a year, and we'll be spraying it tonight. I hope the spray doesn't hurt the birds or the nest, as I had no luck in stopping it. I figure I'll have to go buy some thistle seed and a feeder so that the pair stays well fed since the vegetation is gone.

I wanted to go to school to take more pictures yesterday, but I was afraid of finding a tragedy. I know it's the natural order of things, and lots of eggs and baby birds don't make it, but this is my miracle right now, and I really need it. I was thrilled to find them safe and sound this morning, and the kids were overjoyed when the mama bird returned to her nest after the weed whacker left. Then the daddy bird came and feed her while she kept the eggs warm. I might get to be a goldfinch gramma yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment