Saturday, April 25, 2009

remembering Katie on Table Mountain

We spread a blanket in the shade of a huge oak and ate our sandwiches and oranges, then laid back and gazed up at the sky through its beautiful branches, enjoying the play of light upon the leaves. We became aware of birds flitting from branch to branch that had bright yellow bellies, goldfinches again! They were feeding on swarms of insects that seemed to follow the sunlight shifting along the upper branches. It was the perfect place, shady and cool, with a beautiful view and goldfinch entertainment. It was a restful place to come and remember Katie.

Later on we walked along a spring fed brook, admiring all the gorgeous wildflowers along the way. We found at a nice spot to write messages on the balloons and release them. Other people hiking nearby stopped and watched, as if gazing at balloons floating up in the sky was a special experience. I couldn't really feel anything but the beauty of Table Mountain surrounding me, and that was ok. As we were leaving the sun set and we saw two deer in a field nearby. In all that beauty, Nola and Mark and I remembered her.

1 comment:

  1. I don't comment here enough, Lisa, but I read your posts and I think about how you've honoring Katie's life. It's a person thing and I don't know if it's appropriate to say anything, but I think in your situation, I, too, would need symbols and symbolism to help me cope and heal.

    I wish you peace.

    ReplyDelete