Tuesday, April 7, 2009

the Y stick at the top of Phantom Falls

The Y stick actually has a happy origin. My niece Carrie picked it up on our hike to Bald Rock and took a picture of it. She said she teased a friend at the beach with a Y shaped stick, following her around and asking "Why? Why?" to everything she said:)

I thought it was a funny story, and suggested that we put the stick in the backpack and snap it's picture at various spots that we hike to. Just like the little gnome that Amelie had her friend travel with and photograph in the movie. I had no plans to send it to anyone, just thought it would be a fun private joke to share, something silly to laugh about. And it will be. But just now I'm pausing for the sorrowful whys, the ones that tear your heart out and shred it.


Why did these baby birds have to die? The ones I had foolishly set my heart on. Not every egg hatches, but these ones did. Why did the wind have to blow so hard so soon after they hatched, making it difficult for the parents to simultaneously feed them and keep them warm? Why couldn't I intervene in just the right way to save them?

Why did my daughter die? Why didn't I know something was wrong with my child? Why didn't God let me know that something was wrong so I could try to help her? Why does anyone's child have to die? Why? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment