Saturday, January 3, 2009

Frangrant Mountain

weaving memories

You and Kelly were the first to the top of Mt. Lassen,
running on ahead to beat everyone there
exuberantly calling me, sharing where you were
laughing about it all

Then you were the first to die, far from fragrant mountain
alone, without me holding you
didn't give me a chance to help you
just silently passed your pain onto me

Kathy and I hiked to Bumpass Hell in August
fields of lupines scenting the air
hikers with big smiles and muddy cheeks passing us on the trail
gorgeous views and bluest sky…

We smelled sulphur, then saw an aqua pool
mudpots and boiling springs and fumeroles
then painted our faces with volcanic mud and grinned
laughing at the silliness of it all as we walked

So Katie, how's the view?
Are you on the fragrant mountain?
I went there yesterday and thought of you
running on ahead...

Lisa Palmer
2007

No comments:

Post a Comment