Friday, January 2, 2009

Quote by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Nothing can fill the gap when we are away from those we love,

and it would be wrong to try and find anything. We must simply

hold out and win through. That sounds very hard at first, but at

the same time, it is a great consolation, since leaving the gap

unfilled preserves the bonds between us. It is nonsense to say

that God fills the gap. He does not fill it, but keeps it empty so

that our communion with another maybe kept alive, even at

the cost of pain.

~Dietrich Bonhoeffer

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my most favorite quotes; I first came across it in Elizabeth Lesser's book, "Broken Open." (If you haven't read this yet, I have a feeling you might appreciate it - she quotes a lot from Pema Chodron as well). This quote is one I wanted to share with my colleague whose wife just died on 12/9/10. When I Googled "Bonhoeffer the gap," I found this post of yours from a little over two years ago... Sending thoughts of love and peace to you as we all begin another year. May 2011 bring more healing to your heart and comfort to your soul. -- Rachel

    ReplyDelete